Setting up an HTML email signature with images on iPhone

NOTE: This article explains how to deploy an HTML email signature with images on a single iPhone. To learn how to manage HTML email signatures on multiple iPhones connected to Google Apps, Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange accounts consult this guide.

The default iPhone email signature – ‘sent from my iPhone’ – has by now become sort of a running joke among users. With this in mind, if you are using your iPhone for professional correspondence, you might want to change it to something more appropriate. To do this you have to go to Settings App > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Signature and type in your new byline.

However, if you want to go all the way and create a full blown HTML signature with images, links, etc., roll up your sleeves and follow these steps:

1. Design the signature in an email client that supports HTML, e.g. Gmail or Outlook (to learn how to create social network icons linking to your accounts see this article).

IMPORTANT: For the signature to work correctly on your iPhone the images must be linked. This is a default in most webmail clients like Gmail, but not a default in standalone email clients like Outlook (learn how to use a linked image in Outlook).

An email signature designed in Microsoft Outlook
Fig. 1. An email signature (modified from this free template) designed in Microsoft Outlook.

2. Send a blank email with the HTML signature to your iPhone.

A blank email stamped with the HTML email signature
Fig. 2. A blank email stamped with the HTML email signature.

3. Open the email in your iPhone. Press and hold on a part of text that is not a link:

An email containing an HTML email signature with the iPhone context menu
Fig. 3. A section of text highlighted using the press-and-hold gesture.

4. When the context menu appears, choose Select All and then Copy.

The email with the HTML email signature selected
Fig. 4. The whole body of the email highlighted after choosing Select All.

5. Go to the iPhone email signature editor (Settings App > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Signature), if you already have an email signature configured – delete it, press and hold until the context menu appears and select Paste.

iPhone email signature editor with the context menu
Fig. 5. Context menu triggered using the press-and-hold gesture.

6. After you have pasted the email signature into the editor, you will notice that it lost its original formatting and has been slightly altered. This is because your iPhone automatically added its own coding to the HTML source of the signature. Shake your iPhone to trigger the Undo Change Attributes context menu and select Undo. This will remove additional undesired formatting introduced by your iPhone.

iPhone: Undo Change Attributes context menu
Fig. 6. Undo Change Attributes menu activated by shaking the phone.

7. Go to your iPhone Mail app and initiate a new message (it should already contain the new signature).

IMPORTANT: Do not send the message. Instead, click Cancel, Save Draft. Go to Drafts (e.g. by holding the Compose button), locate the email and then copy and paste the signature from there according to steps 3 – 6.

iPhone: Test of the new HTML email signature
Fig. 7. An iPhone email containing an email signature with images

Remember to test the new email signature before sending any business emails!

Software recommendations

CodeTwo Exchange Sync: View Microsoft Exchange public folders on an iPhone
CodeTwo Sync for iCloud: Synchronize contacts, calendars and tasks between Outlook and iCloud

37 thoughts on “Setting up an HTML email signature with images on iPhone

1. avatarReg Ravindran

I have looked at multiple solutions for this problem and finally I have found one that works like a charm without the need of any third party apps!!! Thank you so much

2. avatarReg Ravindran

Actually now everything is working fine except for the image .. Which still shows up as a blank box … Sigh!!

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

Hi Reg,

This Apple Support forum thread seems to discuss a similar issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5996947?start=0&tstart=0. One of the suggested solutions is saving the email with the email signature in Drafts on your iPhone (to do this begin to forward the message, but instead of sending just save it), and copying from there i.e. carrying on from step 3 of my walkthrough.

Let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,
      Pawel

3. avatarKandarp

Hi Pawel,

I face similar problem as Reg
    I followed your indication as above, but still images are not coming
    On first time only it came, but now lost everywhere, in signature n also in draft
    Pl suggest
    Look forward for your guidance
    Signature is as below FYR

Best Regards
    Kandarp Soni

logo123
    120/SB, Avishkar Complex, Old Padra Road, Vadodara – 390 007
    Mb: +91 9924533699
    Ph: 0265-2330727 / 25
    dist

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

Hi Kandarp,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I will test this next week and get back with the result.

Best regards,
      Pawel

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

ok, it looks like there are 2 requirements that need to be fulfilled: the image has to be linked (i.e. located on a public web server and downloaded from there) and the message from which we copy the signature with the image must be saved to drafts and not deleted. I’ve added this info in steps 1 and 7 of the article.

4. avatarPeter

Was “playing around” since a while with this issue. Would have never figured out this simple solution without your article.
    Thanks a LOT!

5. avatarSteve

This works great for me… except the text of my emails (not the signature) now arrives in Times New Roman, which is not particularly attractive. Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks!

6. avatarPieter van Wyk

Hi

This works for me, but the image is very small, not the same size as when I use Gmail to send it. It looks like the iPhone shrinks the image…

Pieter

7. avatarChetan

I hv one problem one of the imgaes from the i phone into gmail . But when i open inbox its shows the ”’line imges ””. But its blanck and not able to save and download can u plz help me out of this

8. avatarJeff

Brilliant! Thanks so much for the effort behind this. No color changes / hyperlinkedness on phone number and web address. Clean. Thank you

9. avatarAntonio

Is it mandatory to copy the signature from the message saved in drafts EACH time we send a message so as not to loose the image? This is not usable…

10. avataraugie

None of this works! The image always breaks and does not “hold” in drafts, in my signature, etc. It only works a couple of times. So frustrating when trying to brand your logo and using my email from my Iphone 50% of the time!

11. avatarJamie

Does anyone know how to add a HTML signature in the outlook iOS iPhone app? Everytime I copy and paste it into the app my signature is appearing in plain text.

12. avatarRalph

Your directions are so clear, thank you!
    However, i paste into Signature and then ‘undo changed attributes’ then go to the Gmail app and initiate a new email BUT the sig is not there.

So, I opened the “Mail” app, that is the standard iphone generic thing that contains icloud, Gmail and and any other emails set up on the phone, then to “Accounts” then gmail, then start a new mail (icon, bottom right) , a new mails starts and the signature is there.
    As per directions, I “cancel” the email but this cancels the mail outright and does not give me a “save to drafts” the way the Gmail app does. Any help is appreciated. 🙂

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

Hi Ralph,

I haven’t tested the solution with the gmail app, so I can’t comment on the issue.

As to saving to drafts – make sure to provide a recipient address in the email (as if you were actually going to send it) and only then tap cancel/trash.

13. avatarSumitra

Hi Pawel,
    I got a problem. I don’t have any website. I want to create a email signature that will open in all kind of devices.
    The basic problem is –
    *1. I cant understand how I link my photo/logo in html code, because i don’t have any website.
    2. Is it necessary to link social media icons as like my photo for clicking?
    3. Can I use a html email signature in all platform & devices?
    4. Its necessary to design a psd esignature template to convert in to html.
    My qurey become to long.
    Pls try to give those answer but most importent is my 1st question.
    Waiting for your valuable reply.
    Thanks,
    Sumitra

14. avatarDestini

Following these directions worked perfectly, until I closed and reopened the email app. Then the images were gone again.

I have linked the logo image to my website, but all that did was make it a click-able button that took me to my website. Can you please explain to me what you mean by, “the image has to be linked (i.e. located on a public web server and downloaded from there)” and how do you do this?

I also need this work for PCs and Macs.

PS….I am a graphic designer who knows very little about coding.

Thanks!

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

Hi Destini, What you have to do is upload your image to an online image hosting service, e.g. one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites. Then, paste the image into your signature as per this article (make sure to do this in an internet browser): http://www.mail-signatures.com/articles/how-to-insert-images-into-office-365-email-signatures/

As to PCs and Macs, in this article you will find links to all email signature setup guides you should need: http://www.mail-signatures.com/articles/signature-templates/guide-with-images/

15. avatarMahboob

Hello
    But would you tell me how to have my signature with the image in an IMAP?! Coz when shake in an IMAP signature settings, the undo action clear every thing and not changing the format!

16. avatarJane

HI Pawel,
    I was able to copy my signature and it works fine, however the information is crunched together and does not look the same as when I send from my desktop. Any suggestions?

17. avatarShannon Rednour

I have an email signature set up with a linked image. It works great across all devices, EXCEPT when someone receives my email and REPLIES to it, the image in my signature attaches as an attachment. Do you know of any way to fix that? Here is the code I’m using for that image:

1. avatarKamil Glaser

Hi Shannon,
      Linked images should not become attachments – that is one of the differences between linked and embedded images. Could you please specify how you insert the image into your email signature?

18. avatarGSS

Hi,

I would like to add the Image centrally in office365, so that this image is sent out in all mails (exchange, owa and mobile also). can you help me without using third party tools? CAn we use the disclaimer and how to generate the HTML code?