How to create company-wide email signatures and disclaimers in Office 365

Below you will find details on what you have to do to set up your own server-level automatic email signature or disclaimer using the built-in Office 365 tool.

A little info about the tool: like most today’s email signature solutions, it supports HTML content such as tables, images and font formatting, but In contrast to e.g. Google Apps for Business, it also allows for automatic personalization of individual signatures.  Limitations include no option to insert the signature directly below the latest email reply or forward and lack of preview on the end-user’s side (learn more…).

Steps to set up an email signature policy in Office 365:

1. Log in to the Office 365 portal using an Exchange Online administrator account and access the Office 365 admin center as shown in the below image:

Accessing the Office 365 admin center

2. Expand Admin centers and click Exchange.

Office 365: Accessing Exchange admin center
        Fig. 1. The Exchange option in the Office 365 Admin centers menu.

3. In the Exchange admin center click the mail flow option in the navigation pane (marked red in Fig. 2) and make sure that in the work pane the rules tab (marked yellow in Fig. 2) is selected.Exchange admin center: Accessing mail flow rules
        Fig. 2. The Exchange admin center page with the mail flow rules interface visible.

4. Click the Plus icon and select Apply disclaimers… (Fig. 3).

This way the subsequent new rule popup window will already have the Apply disclaimers action selected (clicking the Create new rule… option opens the new rule window without any preselected attributes).The list of available Mail flow rules' actions, which includes the Apply disclaimer action
        Fig. 3. The list of available mail flow rules’ actions, with the Apply disclaimer action marked red.

5. In the resulting new rule window type in the name of your rule and configure the settings according to your needs.

NOTE: To get more settings’ options (e.g. exceptions, the option to prepend the disclaimer) click the More options… link at the bottom of the new rule window (Fig. 4):

Exchange admin center: New mail flow rule, More options
        Fig. 4. The More options… button available at the bottom of the new transport rule window.

In the *Apply this rule if… section select the conditions that will trigger it. You can find the list of available conditions on this TechNet page.

In the *Do the following… section the Append the disclaimer… action should already be chosen (if it is not, use the dropdown menu to select it).

Now you have to enter the signature design. To do this click the Enter text… link and in the resulting specify disclaimer text popup window type in the text or HTML code of your organization-wide footer (Fig. 5).

Exchange Online mail flow rules: specify disclaimer text window
        Fig. 5. Exchange Online mail flow rules: specify disclaimer text window.

To achieve automatic personalization, employ Exchange property variables such as First name, Last name, Contact details (such as e.g., phone number, mobile number, address etc.). When inserting them in the code, use the %%PropertyName%% pattern. It will cause users’ data to be automatically included in proper fields in their signatures. You can find the complete list of accepted properties on this TechNet page.

Next, select the preferred fallback action, which will be executed in case of problems with inserting the signature. The choices are: wrap (forward the original message as attachment and stamp the forward), ignore (send the message without a signature) or reject (don’t send the message).

HACK: You don’t have to be an html expert to create a professionally looking signature. Use this Office 365 signature generator or download one of the templates available in our free email signature template library and adjust it so that all the variables follow the %%PropertyName%% pattern. Then paste its html code in Office 365 and complete the rest of the steps from my guide. Our templates can even make it easier to include handy social media icons nearby your contact details. Head for “… with social icons” templates.

6. The remaining rule properties have default settings, which you can keep or adjust to your needs. For more information on these settings and differences in processing based on message type go to this article.

7. Save your disclaimer rule settings by clicking Save at the bottom of the new transport rule window.

8. Test the new signature.

Illegal email signatures

Limitations of the native Office 365 solution

Unfortunately, there are several important things you can’t achieve using the built-in Office 365 central email signature solution. Those include:

• Inserting the signature directly under the latest email reply or forward
      • Displaying server-side email signatures in users’ Sent Items folders
      • Embedding images in email signatures
      • Skipping lines which contain variables that couldn’t be updated (e.g. because the value wasn’t provided for a user)

To gain the above and other capabilities, you have to use a 3rd party tool like CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365.

48 thoughts on “How to create company-wide email signatures and disclaimers in Office 365

1. Pingback: Signatures via Disclaimers | MarkBaillieDotNet

2. avatarRichard

Hi Paweł, does this company wide email signature only work when using Mail online with Office 365 or will the email signature also automatically appear in Outlook etc? I need a standardised but personalised email signature for all users whether they are working on Office 365 or Outlook.

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

Hi Richard,

The signature is added to emails on the server level, so it won’t appear in Outlook or any other email client when a user composes a message. But it will be added to messages regardless what client they are sent from (Office 365, Outlook, mobile devices, Mac, etc.).

If you want the signature to display in Office 365 OWA and Outlook when an email is being composed, you need a solution like the one I mention at the bottom of the article, CodeTwo Email Signatures: http://www.codetwo.com/email-signatures/?sts=3955

Hope this helps,
      Pawel

1. avatarJeff York

Is there a way to have the electronic signature that is visible on Office 365 e-mail (on my desktop computer) also be used on e-mails I send from my cell phone ? It is an HTC One android device.

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński

Hi Jeff,

Are you using the solution described in my article? If you are, the email signature should be added to all messages meeting the defined conditions, regardless where they are sent from (Outlook, OWA, mobile device, etc.).

Best regards,
          Pawel

3. avatarDarren Gino

when someone replies to an email who works in my company, their signature ends up showing up at the bottom of the email string below my signature for the initial email. Is there a setting that was missed?

1. avatarYuriy

Hello,

Actually there is a work around for this. Just update your disclaimer with exception where the portion of your disclaimer is specified as a part of subject or body.

Kind regards,

4. avatarJohnson

Hi Pawel

Is there a way to automatically insert the intended recipients email address into the disclaimer?? what I mean is say I have %%Email%% for the sender, which will automatically insert the senders email, is there a variable for the intended recipient??

5. avatarRutger

Hi,

How long does it take before a change of signature (Company wide on all e-mail message) is available/in use for the message’s send?

Already have outlook installed, executed the steps above, tested it no signature after 5 test’s closed outlook removed exchange account from outlook, installed exchange account in outlook and tested it again. It delivered me a signature.

I mentioned a type error so i adjusted this. Tested again new message to another e-mailaddress still gave me the wrong signature.

Hope you got an solutions or answer before i’ll set it up for the company.

6. avatarMelissa

When I receive an HTML email signature from Office 365 into my Outlook desktop email app, I have to ‘click to download’ the images in the signature. (I have “images turned off” for my email in Outlook). Is there a workaround for that?

Thanks –
    Melissa

7. avatarLori Murray

Is there a way to add more than one signature to an email account, and be able to use which ever signature i need at the time?

1. avatarMilena Madej

Hello Lori,

As far as I know, it is not possible to use many email signatures in Office 365.

However, if you use Microsoft Outlook (a desktop version), then you could create more than just one email signature for your email account.

This article explains how to create email signatures in Outlook 2013/2010 (Fig. 5 and 6): http://www.mail-signatures.com/articles/how-to-create-or-modify-an-email-signature-in-outlook-2010-and-2013/?sts=3955.

Once you have created your email signatures, simply select a preferred one while composing a new email message (Message or Insert tab>Include section>Signature).

Hope this helps!

Milena

8. avatarjen

hi- when i expand Admin I dont get the admin centre-exchange window as you.

i get- manage your organization
    service settings
    users groups
    licenses
    domains
    service centre
    support
    website
    message centre
    setup

none of which have any links to what this instruction advises-

Can you please assist?

9. avatarSamuel Schoemann

Is it possible to have an embedded link in an image in the signature – i.e. the LinkedIn icon in the signature that is hyperlinked you my LinkedIn page?

1. avatarrabbani

Thanks Milena, this works, however, this adds the image/banner for every reply, duplicating/multiplying the image with every reply in the email trail. Any advise on how this could only be limited to just once?

I have been looking into exception rules but not working for me or I am not using it correct.

10. avatarFrederic Delaunay

Hi.
    is there a way to define a company wide standard email for “automatic replies”?
    meaning…any employee turning on “Automatic replies” would activate a comany wide standard message….the only flex would be start date/end date
    Thanks – Fred

11. avatarRyan

Hi Pawel,

Because the office 365 is synchronized with our internal AD (without Azure AD) can we take the information such as : (phone number, mobile number, email and job title) and put in the signature automatically ?

1. avatarRyan

Hi Pawel,

Yes I have tried that and is working , at the first time is not working , but somehow it is working now, thanks Pawel.
        But can I put URL image also in disclaimer ?
        ex :
        Because I have tried that but the images is didn’t show up, it just show with the mark “x” like broken images, I already make sure if I go to that link above the image is appear.

12. avatarFred

Can i exclude certain employee from the auto signature
    like if %% email %% = ‘Samual@company.com’ skip it.
    Or i have to create a new transport rule for that user only

1. avatarAdam the 32-bit Aardvark

Hi Fred,
      Yes, you can exclude one or more employees, or even a whole Active Directory Group.
      The easiest way to do this is to add them to the rule as an exception.
      Simply edit the rule and click “More options…” at the very bottom.
      Above, an option to “Add exception…” appears, click it, then choose “when the sender is this person” and choose the employee.

13. avatarScott

I created a rule, everything works fine. Though when I deleted the rule the rule still is being applied. Even when I edited the rule the original text keeps showing up. Any idea?

14. avatarRoberta Limpido

Hi Pawel,
    I love office 365 but i think the problem with the signature is not a limitation, is a BUG! I pay for the office365 license and I must pay more if I want to use the signature feature correctly…

I’m sorry but I don’t appreciate this!

1. avatarKamil Glaser

Hi Roberta,
      I am sorry you feel that way. I love Office 365, too. At the same time, like most products, it has some areas in which additional tools come in handy. The native signature feature offered in Office 365 may not be perfect, but still, many companies use it “as is.” Third party products help people who want more from this feature.

15. avatarObliterator

Great article, but the solution doesn’t work for email sent from iPhones or iPads.

By default, iOS sends emails in plain text (unless the user applies some styling to the mail).
    This fails, because the html signature in the transport rule gets appended in plaintext – resulting in garbage.

How can I force Exchange to convert the message to html first (or avoid appending the signature to plaintext emails)? Can’t find a good option to force iOS html format either (less desirable).

Surely I can’t need a third party tool to have a usable signature in O365?!

16. avatarThomas Moser

Hi all.

I try to add an image from our webserver as Signatur at the end of an email if recepient is an external user.
    This works fine.

When i now send an email to an external user, he answers me and i write back again, the image is added a second time to the end of the mail. So i have then two times the same image.

How can i configure the signatur that the image is only insert once in a dialog ?

Thank you all for your help.

1. avatarKamil Glaser

Hi Thomas,
      This is the default behavior, but there is a way to change it. If your disclaimer includes some text, the solution is easy and rather effective. Edit the rule which adds a disclaimer, click more options and specify the rule should be applied Except if… The subject or body includes… the text from your disclaimer. If your rule adds only an image, you could add an exception if subject includes… “RE:”, but this is far from being foolproof.
      You could watch this video tutorial, it includes adding an exception like the one you need.

17. avatarThomas

Hi Kamil.

Thank you for your feedback.
    I have no text in the signature, it is ony an image and a link to a website behind the image .

Can i use the link text as criteria so Outlook 365 does not add the image a second time ?
    I already tried a few things like “if mailbody contains this text” but it did not work, the image was added a second or a third time.