How to insert images into Office 365 email signatures

The Office 365 OWA email signature editor does not have a built-in functionality (e.g. button or easily accessible HTML source) for adding images to the signature. Luckily, it is very easy to overcome this limitation. Here is what you need to do:

1. Upload the image you will be using for your signature to a web location (I’ll use the one located here).

2. Open the web location, right-click the image and select Copy or a corresponding option in your browser (Fig. 1).

Copying an image using Internet Explorer
Fig. 1. Copying an image using Internet Explorer. Other internet browsers use various names for the copy image option: Copy image (Firefox, Chrome), Copy image to clipboard (Opera), etc.

2. Open the Office 365 OWA email signature editor, navigate to the part where you want to insert the image and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard. After the image is inserted, you can scale it to whatever size you need (Fig. 2).

An image pasted into the Office 365 OWA email signature editor
Fig. 2. An image pasted into the Office 365 OWA email signature editor.

NOTE: There is no known limit for the number of images in an Office 365 email signature.

HYPERLINKED IMAGE: To add a hyperlink to an image, highlight the image (you know that it has been highlighted when black boundaries with size handles appear around it, as in Fig. 2), click the Insert Hyperlink icon (Fig. 3) and in the resulting window type the hyperlink URL.

Insert Hyperlink button in Office 365 OWA
Fig. 3. Insert Hyperlink button in Office 365 OWA.

3. Click the save button at the bottom of the Office 365 OWA settings panel.

If you followed the above steps and checked the Automatically include my signature on messages I send option (if it has not been checked, you can always insert the signature using the INSERT button in the new message editor; see this article for more), the signature with the image will be visible in every new email you compose (Fig. 4).

A signature with an image in Office 365 OWA
Fig. 4. A signature with an image in Office 365 OWA.

Before you start sending out emails make sure to perform a test. Here is my email with the signature in the recipient’s Inbox:

Signature with image in email sent from Office 365 OWA
Fig. 5. Signature with image in email sent from Office 365 OWA.

Suggested reading

When you apply the above solution, what you effectively get is a so called ‘linked image’. The problem with linked images is that they tend to get blocked by popular email clients. Go to my Images in email signatures – linked or embedded? article to learn more about the pros and cons of using them.

More on email signatures in Office 365 OWA: How to add or change an email signature in Office 365 OWA

To globally add email signatures for Office 365 users, you do not have to learn how to manage Office 365 transport rules. CodeTwo Email Signatures is an easy to use alternative. Benefits include:

• easy email signature template design thanks to built-in WYSIWYG HTML editor;
  • no HTML skills necessary;
  • images and dynamic fields added with a mouse-click;
  • users can see their signatures when writing emails;
  • non-IT staff can manage email signatures without access to Office 365 Admin Panel.

24 thoughts on “How to insert images into Office 365 email signatures

1. avatarJoanna

I have been trying so many other recommendations which did not work well. This is so simple and it got the job done. Thank you!

2. avatarcaitlin

My problem is occurring when I access 365 from the internet rather than through outlook. Do you have any suggestions?

3. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Caitlin,
    Please provide more details about the problem, i.e. what you want to achieve and what actions you are performing.

4. avatarJohn

Hi Pawel,

I have used this technique for creating images in my signature, but have found that certain mail servers do not accept the images and instead display them as a string of the URLs where the images are hosted. This is at least what I see in the replies to said emails. They also sometimes come back as attachments, or with the file name next to the image.

Is this because the reply was a plain text email? Is there a way around this so it does not look so clunky?

Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks!

Best,

John

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi John,

That’s a good question. One reason could be a general problem with email clients not downloading linked images. The only solution in this case is to use software that supports embedded images. I’ll actually add a link to some more information at the bottom of the article, because I think it’s important.

Unfortunately, if the reply is a plain text email, even embedding images won’t help. The reply will just dump them in the attachment space.

Best regards,

Pawel

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Steve,

First you have to decide where you want to load the image. If it’s going to be your own website, I recommend asking your webmaster for assistance.

If you decide to use a free online image hosting service like imgur.com, tynypic.com, imageshack.com, etc., just go to their ‘Help’ sections. They usually have videos and are pretty intuitive anyway.

Keep in mind that WordPress also allows for uploading images: en.support.wordpress.com/images/.

Best regards,
      Pawel

5. avatarKate

Hi,
    I have followed all the steps as shown above, and it just shows a little box with a question mark in??
    I am using a Mac, will that make a difference?

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Kate,

Sorry for the late reply. When do you see the box with question mark? When you paste the image in the Office 365 OWA signature editor or after you test sending an email that includes the signature?

Best regards,
      Pawel

6. avatarThomas

Hello
    I have a Little Problem.
    when the email was send from owa and the mailuser open the email also in owa,
    the mailuser can see the Picture with a url link on the rights side.
    many thanks for your help
    thomas

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Thomas,

I’m not sure if I understand – is the picture displayed correctly, but with an additional url on the right side? Can you upload a screenshot of this issue somewhere on the web and paste the link here? This would be very helpful.

Also, please provide more details about the sender’s and recipient’s environments (OWA versions, Internet browser used, Windows, etc.).

Pawel

7. avatarTomasz Majocha

Hi Thomas,
    It seems that there is unnecessary html code included in the signature. Have you exactly followed steps in the article? Make sure that after you paste the image in the signature it is highlighted before adding a hyperlink.
    Also – try to test the image itself – add the image but do not add a hyperlink. Then send the message and check the result.
    Looking forward to hearing from you!

8. avatarJason Smith

Hi,

I did all the steps, however, when I go back to my email and try to past, nothing happens. Any suggestions? I am accessing my email through a web browser and not outlook. Does that make a difference?

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Jason,

My article is related to Office 365 email accounts accessed via a web browser – are you using an Office 365 email account?

Also, can you provide the URL of the image you are trying to use? This way we can check if it’s publicly available.

Other than that: Have you pasted the image in the OWA signature editor as per step 2? Are there any text elements in your email signature? If not please add anything (e.g. the word TEST) and check if the text is displayed in the signature section when you start composing a new email.

Best regards,
      Pawel

9. avatarKatie

Hi Pawel,
    Thanks for the great article. I did everything you instructed. I put my name, facebook link (image was copied from IMGUR) and my own logo. I saved the changed signature and then I wrote my first email, sent it to myself, and its blank with no signature? Could I email you a screen shot for help?

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Katie,

I’ve just tested this – it seems that now, after pasting the image in the Office 365 OWA signature editor (Options, Layout section, Email signature), you have to click the resulting CTRL context menu and select Paste as is.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

All the best,
      Pawel

10. avatarDavid

My signature image is stored in my OneDrive. Can it be linked from there?

When I try ‘copy image’ from OneDrive and and then try ctrl + V in OWA signature editor nothing pastes in. I can paste in the link but that just shows as text.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi David,

This worked for me:

In OneDrive there is an option to share a link to an image publicly. You can do this via Share, Get link, Public (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/share-file-folder). Next, go back to your image and select View original from the top menu. OneDrive will open the original image with the URL pointing to its location. Make sure the URL is accesible publicly (e.g. by opening it in a different browser) and then proceed as per my above instructions.

Please let me know how it goes for you.

Best regards,
      Pawel

11. avatarDanish

dear sir i am usaing windows 8.1 and i am usain mail app but i am not insert image in my signature
    plz solve my problem….thanx

1. avatarPaweł Krzemiński Post author

Hi Danish,

Unfortunately, the Windows 8.x mail app does not yet support images (or any other rich text formatting).

All the best,
      Pawel

12. avatarJim

Hi,

I am able to add images to my signature following your instructions. However, when someone receives the email it says, “To protect your privacy, some pictures in this message were not downloaded” and gives a button to download pictures.

Is there a way to avoid this so the images show up without the recipient having to allow them to download?

Thanks,